Sunday, August 20, 2017

Trying to move the wall

I headed out for my long run yesterday morning--I planned to do a 2/1 run/walk ratio for 10.5 miles around the lake here. The Dopey Challenge training plan called for 9 miles, so I was shooting to feel good through 9 miles (in as much as one can control such a thing), and then reward myself with a "run when you feel like it, walk when you don't" mentality for the last mile and a half.

One nice part about yesterday was that I woke up with a stiff neck. Or stiff left side of my neck. Like I had an urge to try to massage a kink in my neck every few seconds. How might that be considered "nice?" Well, it distracted me from any other discomfort I might have been having on the run. I was so preoccupied by the tightness in my neck that my legs felt awesome. For 7.5 miles. And then not so much.

Is it possible that I hit a wall at 7.5? Maybe. A mental wall, at least.



I have been running consistent mileage all summer--short runs during the week of 3-5 miles and a long run on the weekend of 10.5. Often lots of walking on those long runs. I don't mind that. But I do mind that I haven't gotten to the point that the full 10.5 feels easier. I wonder how long that will take.

Some guesses on yesterday:
1. Underfueled. I didn't eat much the night before the run, and I have been cutting calories for a few weeks to try to drop some weight, so I was a bit behind going in. I took a gel with me, but I need to order some more--I usually take two over the course of my long run, and I was just out.

2. Dehydrated. It is August and humid. But I didn't want to hand carry a full water bottle around the lake with me. I have been running with a waist belt with one water bottle in it and a hand bottle with a strap on it, but the hand bottle with the strap on it has been driving me nuts. So I put a bottle in my waist pack, and I took a little plastic water bottle that I knew I could drop in someone's recycling bin as I was running. Don't think that was enough. When I am running, and I have to think about rationing out water, that's a layer of thinking that isn't helpful. Especially on an already mentally taxing long run.

3. Who knows?

I did save a bug that found itself in the unfortunate position of being turtled on its back and kicking next to the road. Felt like I was earning some points in the world. I'm not a bug fun. But that little guy needed some help.

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...