Friday, March 28, 2008

A few hours later...running and houses

We've got a tenant in our house for two months. This is an incredible comfort to me. More comforting would be if the people who looked at the house this morning were to buy it, but that's maybe still in the works. Seems lots of people like the house, but few are qualified to own it. The folks who looked at it this morning are in some sort of a credit-recovery program that will allow them to buy a house, and they seemed to express a need to get a house soon. They apparently pulled up in a Mercedes to look at the house. Kevin said that's probably why they are in a credit-recovery program--car rich and house poor. What do we know? If they are interested in the house, and they can get the loan for it, we're totally willing to sell it to them!

10 miler update
As we were sitting having lunch today, Kevin and I came to the agreement that we won't be driving up to Louisville to run the 10 miler tomorrow. There are any number of reasons that we could list. The biggest is that we aren't feeling mentally or physically ready. I know I'm not. I know I could finish a ten miler. After enjoying the sufferfest that is an Ironman marathon--twice--I am confident that I can make any distance if I am willing to slow down enough and suffer enough. The question becomes what I'm looking to get out of the experience. And honestly, weighing all the other pieces of the equation, it just didn't make sense for us to go run that run. 

Reading
I was given a copy of The Freedom Writer's Diaries (or something along those lines for a title) at Christmas, and I just picked it up and started reading it. It's nice to see what a teacher is doing in her classroom that is so inspiring for her students. There's a bit of jealousy in me that I really do thoughtfully seek out opportunities to inspire my students, and I seem to get discouraged and miss the mark more often than I'd like to. But I guess I can just keep working at it. I grow so frustrated b y the state standards that require so much of my kids and take away some of the autonomy that makes a good teacher a good teacher. I seek balance. 

2 comments:

tommiann said...

I've been teaching ESL adults for 9 years, and I've had them journaling to help with their English writing skills. I've had the pleasure to view in a window into their worlds. I've been humbled, saddened, and many other emotions that I can't even begin to write.
You are stuck between two worlds..NCLB and your class. You will "seek balance" as long as you do not get "stuck" in NCLB.
Hope you don't mind that I make comments...You are in the beginning of your journey, and I'm in the golden years. You haven't been married long; I've been married 25 years in July and have two daughters..19 and 22. I teach ESL to adults and run.

KKB said...

Oh, I absolutely welcome comments! Thanks!
You are right--I am very much in the beginning of my journey in my marriage--we are coming up on our one-year anniversary! In ESL, though, I've been teaching since I graduated with a MATESL in 1997. Where I am very new is in the public schools sector and at the middle school level. I've taught adults (graduate students and college students) and high school students at a private school and even in a gymnazium overseas, but this is my first time having to jump through all the hoops of public education, and it's amazing how much work there is that seems to just be nonsense. I'm currently in a middle school position--a tough age group. As I've mentioned, though, I'm excited about changing roles again--I get to be at the genesis of the first newcomer's center in our school system, and it will be housed at my current school.
Thanks so much for your comments, though! We have much in common (my mom's a survivor, too!).

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...