Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My Kryptonite...grading

I'm PAPER FREE! I imagine this is what it is like to be debt-free. At least in some small way. I just sat and graded for the last three hours, and I have now officially caught up on all my grading--including entering it all in the system. I graded five or six different sets of papers and one poster project from my students. I have a horrible habit of giving my students a task in class, collecting their work, and then not getting it back to them right away. But I finally sat down tonight and got all caught up, and tomorrow will be catch-up day, as well, in terms of handing back work to the kids. 

I hate grading. I like feedback. I hate assigning numbers to things. I like talking them over with kids, negotiating changes, and having them rework them. I hate having to quantify how well a student received feedback and made changes. I like just watching my kids grow as learners...and I seldom think, "Wow, he his grades have improved." I wonder how I'll assess next year. This will be another new challenge for me.

I'm heading to Culver next week (home, in a way, really) to visit my best friend (see picture at right) and probably see some old friends. Fired up. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...