Sunday, March 30, 2008

Last, lazy Sunday



ESL
Classes start again tomorrow after a long break. We have about two weeks of classes until our two-week period of standardized testing called the CATS tests begins. We're going to use a program called "Read and Write Gold" as text-reader software for the kids for the test. I'm not sure what to expect, but I know that last year I had to do a lot of reading for several students, and I wasn't able to do as much reading as would have been helpful because I was so stretched. This might be better for them. We're practicing with it right now.

I have to admit that CATS testing is truly a time of discouragement for me and for my students. They are routinely asked to do tasks that they can't do because NCLB requires them to--reminding them that they are children who are behind. I totally agree with the need for accountability. However, I argue that we need appropriate accountability for ESL students. The very students whom NCLB is meant to support are not able to show their abilities because of the inappropriateness of the testing.

Running
I'm headed out for a quick four miler after I finish writing this post. I'm embarrassed at how small my running base is, and I have plenty of excuses to offer up for it, but the best way to remedy it is to just run. Sometimes, though, life just gets in the way of what you have planned.
The New Balance commercials on television right now really speak to me. I need to find a link to those somewhere online.

Annie
Miss Annie is trying out her crate for the first time since the operation, and there has been a bit of pouting about it, but she seems to be doing pretty well. This surprises me a little bit as she has historically broken out of every crate I've ever put her in to. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm still in the same room as she is in. She's pouting. And I'm sad about it. Two weeks since the accident, and she has four weeks of recovery left. Last night at about 3:30 a.m., I woke up to the saddest sound--Annie had rolled over on her bad leg and gotten it tangled up underneath her. She couldn't get it out. It was kind of like an overstretched rubberband. So she was panicking. And Guinness was on the floor trying to help (useless). And I was SOooooo sleepy. Four more weeks. Did I mention that one of her teats is swollen and the vet thinks she may need surgery? (The picture above is of Annie in the bathtub at my old house. She loved to sit in the bathtub).

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...