Saturday, September 06, 2008

Living the dream...with a little bump of reality

We live on the bike route. I've wanted to live on the bike route for as long as I can remember. And I can walk right out the front door with my bike and step onto the street and get on the bike route. I trained almost exclusively on this route for Ironman--combining loops to make 30, 60, and 100 mile rides that were familiar and hilly and challenging.

Yesterday's little bump of reality was just that, a bump. In the noggin. With a soda can. I was doing just a short ride in the misty rain yesterday afternoon, and I was only about a half mile from the house on the road on which I actually live, when a car came up from behind me. Thinking nothing of it, I waved them around as the oncoming traffic lane was clear. 

Before I knew what had happened, I had been beaned in the head by an empty soda can. It bounced off my helmet and hit the ground and that was when it registered that someone had assaulted me. My immediate reaction was to flip the guy off who did it. Then I decided to chase down his truck. I didn't really have a plan beyond calling the police when I got the guy's license plate, but I was going to make an effort. 

I started a sprint to try and catch him, but he, of course, had hit the gas pedal as soon as the can was thrown, and I couldn't catch him. I rode the rest of the ride with my head up looking for the vehicle, and I actually thought I saw it coming back towards me a little further up the road. I stopped my bike in the middle of the road, took off my sunglasses, and stared down what I thought was the offending vehicle. It wasn't it. 

I rode the rest of the ride trying to sort out what I ought to do. Nothing. I hate bullies. I'll ride with my contacts on in the future and look for the plate. I'll also always have my cell phone with me. And I'll pick up the can next time it's thrown (if there is a next time).

The good news is that I've been riding for about seven years now, and I've really only had one run-in with a vehicle besides what I had yesterday. But two is two too many. I wonder if karma will bite him in the ass? I wonder if he'll know it when karma does?

Still living the dream. I'm not giving that power away. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...