Monday, July 16, 2012

1500 steps...5:00 a.m. Ouch. And awesome.


RGB got me up at 3:30 this morning in her usual wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-torture-mama-routine, and at that point, it was not in my best interest to go back to sleep if I wanted to make it to the 5:00 a.m. stadium runs. So thanks to RGB, I had plenty of time to get my stuff together, get my butt in the car, and make the 30-minute drive to the stadium. Much better than last time when I was doing the fastest tri transition ever. In the dark. On no sleep. Move on, Kim.

I went in this morning determined. I was going to go down and back through those stadium stairs. I didn't count every stair, but I did do some math (before I got too tired to do so...see earlier post on fatigues and runs) after counting one set, and the total up and down would be 1500. 750 up. 750 down. Give or take a few.

I was drenched by the third set of stairs; the humidity was high. I was rethinking my goal with four sets of stairs (300 steps) to go, but I did make it down and back. The .44 miles on the stairs took me 25 minutes (with sets of push-ups on each of the downs thrown in). But I kept reminding myself that speed wasn't the point.

And the reward was four laps on the stadium grass in my bare feet. I swear, that's like a drug to me. Next week, I'm going earlier so that I can get started earlier and get to the grass more quickly.

The week? I had a great long run on Sunday. Ran 8. Ran the first six without a break. Haven't done that in who knows when. Had a good, fast, short ride on Saturday and averaged over 16 mph for the first time in quite a while. Ran a solid four on Friday night. Ran a solid five on Thursday night. A couple of other workouts thrown in there. Decent week.

I'm reading back through this post and I'm not impressed, so I ask that you re-read my first line again. 3:30 a.m. No nap today. Sigh. Try again tomorrow.

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...