Friday, July 06, 2012

Flying by the seat...the swim, the bike, and the run



The swim
I got to swim one night this week, and I'm headed back today for a 3K yard swim. I was psyched to get to share a lane this week with a random guy named Drew who is racing the Muncie Endurathon this weekend and then the Louisville Ironman next month. On the Ironman, I gave him one piece of advice--don't forget that it's supposed to be fun. Even when you are miserable, it's fun. Dammit. That's why we do this stuff. I think he thought I was nuts.


I took this picture of the locker room at my pool because I continue to be blown away by the stupid, stupid, stupid design. I was concerned someone might think I was a perv when I was taking the picture, so it was a quick pic. Have I ranted about this before? I'll make a quick list.
1. These lockers are the only lockers they have, and they are only for swim-team members. So people with memberships at the pool can't use the lockers and have to haul all their stuff out to the pool deck every time they swim.
2. This is actually what you see when you open the door from the toilets. So if you happen to be naked when Joe Schmoe opens the door, tough luck.
3. Fortunately for you, you probably won't be spending any time in front of these lockers because there isn't a bench. The only bench is on the other side of these lockers.
4. And there's no private changing area unless you want to tuck into the handicap-accessible shower. I don't mind being naked in front of other people, but I remember being horrified when I was in middle school and would see someone else naked. I'm not out to horrify anyone.
5. The toilets are actually outside of the locker room and are used by both swimmers and the general public. So if you are coming in off the street and want to use the toilets, chances are you are going to have a wet, wet butt because some hapless swimmer has been in the toilets before you.

Those are my top five. I could also write about how the lifeguards always seem to want to clean something when I'm swimming and the fumes seem to mix with the chlorine making me want to gag, but that's actually in the pool.


The bike
The sun probably tells the story, but it has been a great week for cycling. I rode on the 4th and followed it with a two-mile run, and I was surprised at how great it felt. A brick. A BRICK for crying out loud. But I miss my tri bike.

I need to get the ride in for a tune-up, but I don't have a back-up bike besides my beach cruiser, so I have a hard time making the time to drop it off. There is bird poo on my handlebar tape. And duct tape because the tape was coming off, and I didn't know how to fix it. No wonder I got dropped on a  group ride a week and a half ago; who can take a girl seriously when she has bird poo and duct tape on her bike?

The run
I now walk out the door to do my runs and tell my husband that I'm going to go see what the neighbors are up to. Why? Two days after the run-in with the teenagers at that house, I was out for my morning run and came up on the house to see a girl coming from around the side of the house to let herself in the front door...wearing only a thong and a tank top. Yes. I saw her ass. We did not make eye contact.

I ran a fast three yesterday morning, and I was fired up by my splits. When I first got home and checked my watch, I thought it hadn't gone that well, but I'm an idiot with math at 6:00 in the morning when I've just finished a run. When I plugged the numbers into the computer, I was really pleased with how well it went. Finally.

Up next
Swim today. Long run tomorrow. Bike on Sunday of the tri course I'm thinking about doing.

2 comments:

On the Right Track said...

Very funny about the locker room...that would drive me crazy!!! So, when is your tri? It sounds like you have really been training hard for it...way to go! I should have, but oh well ;) I am suppose to do another one in late August...but now my surgeon has said "NO" to running because of some more bumps in my recovery...so we will have to see!
We are headed home to KY in a bout a week for 2 weeks...heading to Ballard county for a reunion for a few days as well...I love home!!

KKB said...

I can't figure out how to respond so that this is an actual response to your comment and not an additional comment. Oh, well... I am back to saying no to the triathlon and focusing on the half marathon in October. I didn't want to have to think too much about the other two disciplines. So my little head rush from the other day that made me think I should go ahead and drop the entry fee has made me rethink. Back to just trying to enjoy myself on the bike and in the water and amp up my running.

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...