Thursday, June 29, 2017

Coffee, saying good-bye to a friend, and running...


This morning, I couldn't pick up my coffee cup. I didn't sleep well last night, either. Something in the right shoulder/neck/upper right quadrant area of my body was off enough that when I rolled over in bed, the pain woke me up. I'm a right-side sleeper, generally, and trying to sleep on my back was hard. And then I got up this morning, and I could get my coffee cup about four inches from my mouth, but not all the way there because of a pull in my neck. Haven't had this kind of soreness in quite some time. What on earth?

A few weeks ago, a close family friend passed away. She was in hospice care when my mom called to    tell me that it wouldn't be long. Our friend and I had fallen out of touch. But I imagine it's like many friendships--people weave their way in and out of life. At the point that my mother called, our friend was not really in my life. And I didn't get to talk to her before she died. By the time I was ready to make the call, she was already gone. 

So yesterday, when I headed out on the bike, I found myself in conversation with my friend. And by the time our conversation ended, it was 45 minutes later, and I had ridden really hard without noticing...until last night when I was laying in bed and kept having weird, stiff pains in my neck. And then there was the coffee cup this morning. Clearly, an excuse to skip a scheduled run--day 2 of the Galloway training program for Dopey.


(Spoiler, I didn't skip...) So I went and got my running shoes on. My neck was stiff enough that I couldn't really negotiate putting on my shirt and bra, so that was my first adventure. And I set out planning to walk as much as I wanted to. But then I started running. And I hit the hill pictured above, and it felt pretty darn good. Galloway calls for a couple of 45 minute runs during the week, so that's what I set out to do. Ran 4 minutes, walked 1 in the heat and humidity of this fine Indiana morning. And then came back home to another cup of coffee. This one, I could drink. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...