Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Annie in her natural environment...


I'm trying to figure out how to upload a picture of my girl. She's not really cooperating. She's laying on the couch on her back, spread out as long as she can get. And, of course, she's laying on the side the doctor doesn't want her to be laying on--the side of her surgery. The computer isn't really cooperating, either. I'm still playing around with the camera on my laptop, so I'm a work in progress.

It was a rough night last night. I slept on the couch. She slept on the floor. And I think she only moved three times, but I woke up absolutely every time she even thought about moving. We've been outside once. It's raining. She couldn't make the one step it took to get back into the house without some help, and she was exhausted when she made it back in. She's been sleeping ever since. On her back. On the couch. She came and sat in front of the couch and gave me this look like, "Well, are you going to pick me up? I'm getting up there whether you help me or not." I can see where this is going.

I've learned a lot in 16 hours. 
Dogs experience pain like people do, but they like to hide it from their people. Dogs are tough. 
Even a small step can feel big. It's all about perspective, isn't it?
Sometimes sleep really is all you need. And sometimes even that isn't enough.

I've gotten out of my writing rhythm. I find myself making stupid spelling errors, making poor word choices, and writing like a middle schooler more and more. I have always kept a journal, but I've also always had an off/on relationship with my journal (as is evidenced by the spread of dates in this journal). But I have missed working with that voice in me that likes to put word to paper (or screen). I tell my students that the more they write, the stronger their writing will be, but I haven't been practicing what I preach. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...