Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Teaching reading...New socks...a new adventure...


Annie has been the focus of this blog for the last week, but I've quickly realized that I have a lot on my plate. And I'm not sure if I'm going to have a multi-directional blog here.

ESL Newcomer's Center
I spent part of my trip to Michigan pulling together some materials for the ESL Newcomer's Center. In particular, I found a text by Mary Cappellini called Balancing Reading and Language Learning that is about working with developing readers while they are also developing reading skills. This is a challenge for me. In my MATESL studies, we spent quite some time looking at teaching reading in English, but I don't recall any focus on teaching reading to people who can't already read, and many of my middle schoolers are below grade level in their reading. Some are illiterate. So I'm looking forward to digging into this text. DH had to actually remind me that I am on vacation as I was reading and underlining in the text as soon as I got it home.

I'm now searching for some resources on Learning Centers. I'm excited to spend some time this summer pulling together my new classroom. Did I mention it has three windows? And two doors to the outside world?

Running
10 miler on Saturday. So I'm headed out for an easy six today. I have to admit that there is a certain amount of shame and guilt when I fall off the running wagon. I love running. I love triathlon. I love cycling. I love swimming. But now and again, I can't get myself going to do any of them and then I feel guilty. And now I'm signed up for some races, and I'm feeling unprepared. And even signing up for races doesn't make me feel motivated.

Ironman training took a lot out of me last summer and fall, and it's been really hard for me to get back into a rhythm. Quite frankly, I don't mind going to races underprepared. I just kind of run my own run and get done and quietly head on my way home. But I've signed up for running a half marathon with my best friend in a week. And I'm embarrassed at my lack of preparation in the way that you get embarrassed when someone comes over and your house isn't as clean as you'd like it to be. I've got to deal with the guilt.

The crafty knitty side of me
I'm posting a pic of my latest project--my first pair of socks. It's a pattern from Blackberry Ridge. This is some of their gorgeous hand-dyed yarn, and I bought it on a trip to Wisconsin with my mom several years back, but I'm finally getting around to knitting them. If all goes well, I'll be making socks for everyone in DH's family for Christmas. Last year, we really tried to do as many homemade gifts as possible, and I think we're going to try that again this year. The dog in the picture of this one, incidentally, is our other black lab mutt--Guinness. She's nutty in her own special way. But she's the perfect backdrop for the start of the socks.

3 comments:

tommiann said...

Try integrating software (computer) lessons to help boost ESL literacy. Google "free online ESL lessons" and you might be able to find some good information.
I teach ESL adults,and most of my students can not read. I incorporate ESL software to help encourage/facilitate reading.
tommiann

KKB said...

I'm not sure if people respond to comments on their blog through here or not...not sure what the protocol is! BUT, here goes...

We have a program at our school called "Open Book to Literacy" that I need to spend some time exploring. That program is supposed to modify itself based on student abilities. We also have "Read and Write Gold"--a text-reading software that has a cool translation component to it. We'll be using that to support students during testing this year.

Thanks for your comments! I love any ideas from the greater ESL community--it's easy to feel like an island in this profession.

tommiann said...

You are welcome..I'v taught ESL to adults for 9 years, but I've never taught children. Your blog caught my eye because we have 2 things in common..running and ESL.
Teaching ESL is my passion, running is my salvation:)
I've heard of Open Book; the sales rep keeps calling me about it. If it is the same software, you have so many "slots" that are open to students and it keeps track of their progress. It also archives their work even if they drop out of the program. It can also teach literacy in their own native languate (if it is the same software)..let me know what you think. It is too expensive for my budget at this time for me to purchase it.
tommiann

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...