Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bricking...the endorphins!

I got in the pool yesterday for the first time in about a year and a half. I was expecting to be dying after about 500 yards of swimming, but I was still going strong at a mile. So I guess that was a good thing. Last time I got into the pool after having taken such a long break, I was ready to vomit at about 400 yards. But that was right after the baby was born. Better shape now.

Went home last night and ran 3 miles. So technically speaking, it wasn't a brick workout where you do one immediately after the other, but it was a double, and I haven't done a double in...well, I don't know how long. The run went well. I was satisfactorilly tired at the end. Oh, how I have missed doubles and bricks.

I came off the Flying Pig thinking I'd like to just train mindlessly for the summer, doing whatever I felt like doing whenever I felt like doing it. No structure. No plan. Just go. That thinking lasted less than a week. That's not my style. I like to think it can be my style. But it's not. No plan depresses me. Seriously.

I've moved on to planning for a sprint-distance tri (maybe two?) in August and the Indy half marathon again in October. I've got to drop some weight. Again. And I've got to pick up some speed. A lot. And I'd like to put together a well-rounded training program for the summer that has me up before the crack of dawn running while the baby is still in bed. I really enjoyed that last summer.

The endorphin rush from almost feeling like my old self again yesterday was awesome. And it's something I'll be chasing all summer. Because almost isn't going to cut it.


No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...