Friday, May 04, 2012

Well, holy crap, I'm running a marathon on Sunday. Magiccool?

I've survived much of taper madness. (And am still going through the "am i really ready?" phase of taper.)  I've had a lot of stress at work, and I'm trying to leave it all at home (or at work) to get my head on straight for Sunday.

Came across the notification that they are offering deferments due to the weather. Defer. For next year. Like not run Sunday and put it off for a year. I don't think my 20 milers will hang in my legs for that long, so I'm going to go ahead and run. Here's where we are at on this:

1. Going to be carrying some sort of fluid with me, I think. Visions of the Chicago marathon from that one really, really hot year are dancing in my head, and I'm thinking better safe than sorry. I may change my mind on Sunday morning, but that's where my head is right now. (And the Flying Pig people are already saying that they are doubling up on their fluids for Sunday).

2. Abandoning all time goals. Oh, wait. I already did that. Well, I'm abandoning them even more. They are even more left behind now. If I'm hot, I'm walking. Just gotta cover the 26.2 miles on my feet on Sunday, and that'll be a success. No watch.

3. Taking salt tabs. I have to pick them up yet, but I lose salt like no one's business on hot days. So I'll be taking some salt tabs with me.

4. Bought cooling cloths. Got this great thing called "Magicool". I'm not relishing the idea of lugging my weight in gear around on Sunday, but this looks like a good idea. It's a cloth. And it's cool. How bad can that be?

5. Relying on my training. I'm a pretty tough cookie. Even when I'm a little out of shape, I can get my head in the right space. Depending on that.

Finally, I'm going to enjoy the run. Seriously. This is going to be fun. Damn it.

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...