Monday, May 28, 2012

Thinking about drinking

So I took off on yesterday's "long" run at about 7:30 in the morning. I thought I'd enjoy a sleep-in on my second day of summer vacation, so I stayed in bed until 6:30, for crying out loud. The problem here in the summer is that any run that starts later than 7:00 is going to be hot. Yesterday was not an exception.

I had a decent run going. Decent considering I have about 20 pounds to lose, and my pace is impacted by every one of those pounds. Still, I was at a solid LSD pace for the first three miles or so. By mile three and a half, I was soaked in sweat, and taking off my sunglasses seemed like a solution to dealing with the heat. For some reason, I feel the heat in my eyes.

And I was drinking. A lot. I had a water bottle on a waist pack, and I had drained it by mile four and a half. Yea for me! Wait. I still had at least three miles to go no matter which way I turned, and I had no water, and I was starting to bake in the sun, and there was no shade in sight.

Signs a run isn't going as well as I had hoped:
1. I take off my sunglasses because they are making me hot (I know, I already said this one, but I'm about to make a list here.)
2. I have to switch from NPR to music because I can't stand the chatter in my ears.
3. I start searching for shade where there is none.
4. I ponder stealing water from someone's hose and weigh whether or not that will get me shot.

So here's the short version. I ran out of water. The wheels fell off the bus. I started thinking maybe I should have rationed out my water over the whole run instead of drinking when I was thirsty early on. Clearly, the best solution would be to leave the house with enough water, but which is better: rationing or risking running out? That's the QOD--question of the day.

I was gassed by the time I got home. I'm amazed at how dehydration will impact me for the rest of the day. I have had fifteen milers that felt better than yesterday. But no water=no legs.


No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...