Thursday, July 20, 2017

38 Flights of Stairs = Run?

We're on the road this week, and I often struggle with getting my runs in when we are on the road. I have my running kits packed and with me (so that's a start), but I run into other mental/timing obstacles when I find myself trying to run while traveling. Today's list is brought to you by the letter "s":

  • Scheduling--do I get up early and try to go before anyone else gets up so that I don't disrupt the rest of the day? How do I make my run fit in with an already-packed family schedule? 
  • Sleep is often tough; I seldom sleep well on the road. So even though we are currently staying in a cabin with the most comfortable beds ever, I'm still not getting great sleep. 
  • Safety--I like the idea of running new roads, but in practice I am nervous to hit the roads alone in a new place. We are in the woods with no cell phone service at least five miles from the main road which sounds dreamy, but it's also dangerous. No way to find my way home on these gravel roads if I get lost. 
Today's Galloway run was supposed to be 45 minutes. We hiked up to the Natural Bridge and back today instead. My legs were shaking by the time we were finished. Those 38 floors were no joke. 


But it was worth it for this fun family moment up at the top (and a few minutes to breathe before we headed back down):

I struggle sometimes (often. all the time.) with being flexible with my training schedule when life throws a curveball into the plan. Felt like today was a good trade-off, though. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...