Sunday, March 04, 2012

(not so) Long (very) Slow (not-so-much) Distance day

I listened to a story on NPR today about a guy who suffers from a malady that is a combination of narcolepsy and instant paralysis caused by feeling extreme emotion. You can listen to the story here.  Whenever he feels extreme joy or sadness, he goes into a stupor which apparently feels the way I often feel when I am between asleep and awake--aware of the world around me but unable to move or do anything about it. This guy wanted to go to his brother's wedding, so they propped him up against the wall for the entire event because he was unable to move. They took the wedding pictures around him.

My not so Long, very Slow, best-of-intentions-to-be-a Distance run today turned into a short jaunt out into the countryside. Looking for a connection to the above paragraph? About six miles in, my legs did not want to turn over. I went from running. To walking. To not even wanting to walk. I think I could have happily sat next to the road and watched the traffic pass despite the 30 mph winds and 40 degree temperatures. I felt a bit like I imagine that guy feels right before he really goes into one of his episodes.

Coincidence that I actually heard this guy's story while I was out running today? Perhaps. But really, I'm realizing that I just bonked out there today. It's been a while since I bonked. And especially a while since I bonked on such a short run. But when you let your reserves run low and then head out on a run without enough nutrition or water in your system, that's exactly what happens. Fixable. And not really all that miserable. Part of a bonk is accepting that it is what it is. Wish I could say that it was extreme joy that had pushed me to the point of feeling like I was ready to sleep next to the road. Instead, it was just poor planning.

Back in the saddle again for a hopefully LerSD next week Sunday. (17miler coming up!)

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...