Saturday, March 03, 2012

Runner's Calm at 3.12

I ran 4 miles on Thursday, but it took me exactly 3.12 miles to unwind. I know because I looked at my watch when I realized it had happened. I told a friend about it the next day and he said, "So, runner's high?" I said, "No, more like runner's calm."

I can't write extensively about the source of my stress here because the source of my stress actually has a name. I do think, though, that part of the reason I have been so stressed has been that I have not mentally relied enough on the things I know about the world because I am a runner:

1. Running doesn't always feel good. When a run goes south, as they say (although now that I live in the south, I'm wondering why we put up with that metaphor for things going poorly), you just keep running. One of two things will happen: you will start to feel better, or you will finish the run. Amen to either.

2. There is always a finish line. Even when there isn't a real finish line, there is always my mailbox. The run can't go on forever.

3. Other people might run with you, past you, or hang behind you. How much you let them impact your run is totally up to you. If you are doing a run that is central to your plan, you may need to cut loose the people who can't hang with you.

4. Recovery is essential, but it means giving the body a day or two off, even if the mind says to hit the pavement.

The stress sucks. It doesn't feel good. The finish line is on the calendar. And I have a clear picture of who is going to hang. So on to planning number four; time to talk with dear hubby about that summer vacation.

Any to add to the list?


No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...