Sunday, January 04, 2009

Day 4

Distance: 4.00 miles (on day 4...how appropriate!)
Time: 42:13
Cumulative distance: 10.8 miles. (HEY, that's not bad!)

It's amazing to me how I can be all revved up and ready to go on a run, step out the door, and one little hitch will make me change my whole plan. Tonight, it didn't. But I admit that as I stood on the front porch of the house in the misting rain waiting for the Garmin to pick up the satellites, I felt the run number in my head changing lower and higher and lower and higher. And as that little black line flirted with getting itself all the way across the screen and then jumped back, then forward, then back... I felt my brain clicking through the "How far do I really want to go today?" thought process.

I had it in my head that I was going to do 4. That changed to three. Then even down to one when my feet hit the road. But as I started to put one foot in front of the other, to feel the chill of the misty rain hitting me in the face, and to listen to Garrison Keillor telling the Tales from Lake Wobegon on my MP3 player, I found myself just getting into the rhythm of the run and going. 

At the 2 mile turnaround, I was debating taking a walk break. There also almost always comes a point in a run where I have to decide how hard I want this to feel. Pretty tough today. I was running the whole thing. And I did. I finished relatively comfortably. Again, not as fast as I thought I would be... but having covered the entire distance running, I was content. Now, it's back to school tomorrow. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...