Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January 13--Day 13

The weather has become bitterly cold here. Okay, not bitterly cold. But everyone always says "cold" and "bitterly" together, so I thought I might as well join the crew. I'd say it's more like just cold. So the key to keeping up running when it is cold is to not ever stop. From the moment I get out of my truck coming home from school to walking in the door to putting on running clothes to heading back out again to run... don't stop. You probably thought I meant something about not stopping while on a run. Nope. Once you're running, that's the easy part. It's getting out to run that's hard. So don't stop. Get dressed. Go. Don't think twice.

Why?

Because if you think twice about it, your mind starts to take over and it starts thinking that going from a perfectly warm place to a perfectly cold place is just perfectly stupid. It starts thinking things like, "I can run later. No big deal." It starts rationalizing. And running in cold weather isn't remotely rational. It just isn't. 

So on day 13, I went into auto pilot. Went for a run (longer than my normal during the week runs), and had only muscle spasms in my back put a stop to the insanity. But I have thirteen days under my belt and 18 to go. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...