Thursday, January 01, 2009

Day 1

Run: 3.00 miles
Time: 32 minutes
Route: Oakland School Track and back
Weather: 40s, sunny, headwind on the way out, tailwind on the way back
Post-run: wheezing, red-faced, feeling good

Today is day 1 of my 31 day running streak. I set a goal of 31 days to see where it leads me. The only parameter for the streak is that I have to run every day. Shooting for at least a mile for it to count as a run. But really, the focus is on getting out there every day no matter what. 

I'm not sure why.

Sometimes I train for a race. Sometimes I train for fun. Sometimes I train from guilt. The goal of running for the sake of maintaining the streak is something new for me. So I thought I'd try it. 

Day 1
My ass felt huge. I suited up. Told myself not to beat myself up and headed out the door like millions of other Americans who are using today as an excuse to start again. Some people mock that idea. I figure today is as good of a day as any, so why not start today? Should I put it off until tomorrow just to avoid starting on January 1? Silliness.

So I set off to run. And I ran a mile and a half before I took a 40-step walk break. Then another half mile before a 35 step walk break. Then another half mile before a 40 stepper. Then the rest of the way home. It didn't feel bad. I am working hard to tell myself positive things. Not to dwell on where I once was or where I feel I ought to be, but to run where I am right now. And see where that will take me. 

Post-run, I'm feeling wheezy and red-faced but strong. It's the start of something new. And something new is always exciting for me. 

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...