Friday, February 23, 2007

Asthma strikes again

Thursday
Amish Loop run--6.37 miles

I set out yesterday for my run pretty fired up. The weather was in the mid-50s. The wind was blowing hard enough, but the temperature was in the mid-50s. Mid-50s. In February. For a Michigan girl, this is an unbelievable thing. I hope I never get used to living in Kentucky so that every February is an exciting event.

Problem struck by the end of the first mile. My asthma came on so strong that I wasn't sure I could control it. I stopped at the end of the road to try to catch some air. I decided to push on. My legs wanted to run! My lungs didn't.

I ran the loop with just a bit of a pause at the top of the highest hill (there is a LOT of climbing on this loop). The top of that first hill, though was pretty discouraging. I had to stop altogether. I stood next to the road trying to get my breath. I couldn't decide if I should keep running or walk or just stand there and wait. The sun was going down, though, and I needed to make a decision. So I walked for a minute. Then I ran the rest of the way home. But I was discouraged by the wheezing. It was never this bad in Indiana.

I'm working on keeping my chin up on the hills. Amazing how much that can affect your whole body position. When I keep my chin up, I can feel the stress all the way down in my back. I know it's how I should be running, but it's going to take some adjustment. I have to keep working on it. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's long run. Just have to remember my inhaler.

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...