Sunday, February 11, 2007

Of long runs and dogs....

10 mile run + some wood stacking

It's been a good couple of days for training. Today's run was great. The weather was fantastic. Mid-40s at times and sunny. A rare gift for a Michigan girl in February. Of course, it is in Kentucky. But I haven't lived here long enough to expect that winter will be mild. And I haven't lived here long enough to redefine my definition of mild.

It was, however, a six-dog run day. I live in the country, and the dogs run free out here. Heck, even our dogs run free. However, we live on a seldom-traveled road, and our dogs are crazy friendly. Okay, that's not justification. But at least they are friendly.

Frankly, my biggest fear about dogs on a run are that they will get hit while crossing the street to chase me. I can't stand the thought of it. The first two dogs were out in the middle of the road by the time I got to their house. One of them was running behind me sniffing the back of my leg so closely that I kept hitting him in the nose as I ran. Fortunately, he wasn't biting.

There's a black lab that always comes out after me. He's more vicious-sounding if he's got his little Jack Russell buddy with him. There's a third dog on that property, but he has to stay behind a fence for some reason. Can't figure out the logic there.

My favorite was the bassett hound. I thought I'd take him home with me if I could...I couldn't. But man, did he ever have a cool bark.

No solution here, but I'm thinking that getting on the bike will be tough, as well. Gotta find someone who knows ALL the dogs.

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...