Sunday, February 04, 2007

Stop the snow, stop the snow, stop the snow...

People here often ask me if I miss the snow in Michigan. Frankly, I moved south to get away from winter. So far this winter, I've almost managed to avoid it altogether. It's been cold, sure. But there's been no snow. Friday, though, the snow came in. Yesterday, it melted a bit. Last night, it came back in. There's not enough of it to really make me think it's going to stick around for a long time (knock on wood), but there's enough of it to make the roads dangerous for a run. The Amish are out in their buggies this morning, though, so there's hope. I'm going to wait a few hours and see about getting out there for a run of some sort. I'm not in love with running right now, though, so it's easy for me to come up with any excuse to avoid it.

Saturday 3500 yard straight swim
Did this in just under an hour yesterday. My initial plan was to get in the pool for 7 by 500. I'm trying to rebuild my swim endurance before trying to regain my speed. But I got close to the end of the first 500, and I felt like I ought to not take a break. I found myself nearing a 1000, and I thought I'd go for a 1650 split. That was the old stand-by distance for me when I was coaching at my old school. I did that in 27:21. My second 1650 was 27:55. I had to stop once to let the water out of my right goggle. Not bad. I haven't looked back in my training logs to see what times I used to be doing backflips over. I'm thinking it was sub-26? I don't know. I know it wasn't fast yesterday, but I also know I wasn't exhausted at the end of the swim, so I'm feeling good about it.

Today will be a run (I kind of hope...) or a bike (I kind of hope not...). We may or may not be in school tomorrow again. It's a day up in the air.

No comments:

So this is Christmas... I lift!

Hmmmm.... lifting... Just a quick pop in here (mostly because I did my first at-home lifting workout just a little bit ago, and I have ...